OSASA is aware of a number of races and rallies entering South Africa later this year which will place huge pressure on berthing facilities in October/November/December especially in Richards Bay and Cape Town. OSASA is in contact with the organisers of these events.
- Global Solo Challenge – 19 boats leaving Spain 26 August, probably rounding the Cape within 6 weeks? Whilst this is a non-stop round-the-world race, some will stop for repairs etc.
- Ocean Globe Race – 14 boats due Cape Town as port of entry 10-20 October, departing Cape Town 5 November 2023
- Clipper Race – 11 boats due into Cape Town as port of entry 6-10 November, departing Cape Town 16th November 2023. Anything between 8 and 18 crew aboard each boat.
- World Arc – 26 boats listed due November 2023 into Richards Bay as port of entry, will coastal sail individually, leaving Cape Town by 6th January 2024
- Grand Large Yachting World Odyssey – 16 large boats, arriving Richards Bay as port of entry 10-30 November. Will coastal sail individually, leaving Cape Town 10th Jan 2024
In addition to this we are expecting at least 80 individual circumnavigating boats coming into Richards Bay as Port of Entry from the Indian Ocean starting from September, building up through October and peaking in November. These boats will then mainly progress coastwise to Cape Town for December/Christmas.